Saturday, July 18, 2009

true story...

I'm taking the most fabulous course in the second summer semester right now. It's a literary nonfiction class and part of my requirement is to read and write book reviews on two nonfiction books of my choice and the other part of my requirement is to write a 2500 word nonfiction story of my own. In addition to these requirements I am to read our textbook about creative nonfiction and Three Cups of Tea.

I know it doesn't sound fabulous to people who don't like to read or write, but this class is exhilarating to me! I'm thrilled to be forced to write a story as part of my requirement and thus far, I love my teacher. He's very involved in what's going on with the students and called to personally introduce himself. You can tell he's very passionate about what he teaches.

So I've been mulling over what to write for my nonfiction piece, and while the ideas I have would be fairly easy to come up with material for, I'm hesitant to commit to them because I don't want to write about them. The problem is, I can't decide what to write about, and I told Dr. Burns I would turn in my updated contract letter with this information in it by tomorrow afternoon.

I don't know if any of you write for fun (except for little miss Manda!) but I tend to not know what I'm going to write until I've tried a million things and am surrounded by a sea of crumpled paper and mashed out cigarettes. (attractive, eh?) So committing to one subject and delivering it is a daunting task.

If every class in college was like this one, I would never stop going to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment