Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Music

There are certain songs that no matter how many times I hear them still reduce me to a bawling three year old. O Holy Night is one such song. Every time the music swells up and the choir/vocalist/band sings "Fall on your knees" I start crying without fail. There is something about this song that reminds me of how small everything really is, how powerless I really am in deciding my own fate, and how I want to be a better person.

That being said, I'm particularly defensive about versions of this song. I downloaded the free itunes sampler today, and was subjected to the hell of "Musiq Soulchild's" rendition of this song. In my opinion, there is no place for a rastafarian sound in O Holy Night. This should not happen. Ever. I'll stick to Amy Grant's "O Come All Ye Faithful" safe as it may be. I don't like my serious religious songs tempered with anything but simple acoustic guitars, piano, choirs, or orchestra music. It just doesn't seem right. If you want to remix "Santa Baby" you have my blessings, but don't mess with my Jesus music!

Give me Mariah Carey, give me Amy Grant (especially "Mary's Song"!!), give me Sarah McLachlan, give me anyone willing to sound somewhat traditional.. just keep your synth pop for the less important songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment